Master of Science in Forest Resources

Kate Berven inspects fill plantingStudents earning a M.S. in Forest Resources are expected to complete a thesis on original research that can be submitted to a journal for publication.


Applications and admission is handled by the Graduate School.

Recommendations for admission are made by the School of Forest Resources based on academic records, results of the Graduate Record Examination (required), experience, and recommendations.

Applications (graduate school form, transcript, GRE scores, 3 letters of recommendation) for admission in the fall semester should be submitted by January 15, especially if the applicant is seeking financial aid.  Applications received after this date will be considered for admission, but the chance of receiving an assistantship is lower.


1) Form an Advisory Committee: The Master’s Degree Advisory Committee is made up of at least three graduate faculty members, including one that must be outside the student’s discipline.

2) Course Requirements: Course requirements for a M.S. in Forestry are established by the Advisory Committee and must meet the following requirements:  a)  A minimum of 30 credits (coursework plus thesis) is required.  b) A minimum of 12 hours (exclusive of thesis) of 500- and 600- level courses must be included.   c)  Must have at least six (6) and no more than fifteen (15) hours of thesis credits.

3) Thesis:  The student must complete an original research project and write a thesis.  The Advisory Committee must approve the thesis topic and study plan before research can begin.

4) Final Examination: A final oral exam covering the student’ thesis and related degree work will be scheduled following tentative approval of the thesis by the Advisory Committee.  The final examination committee is usually the Advisory Committee and is selected by the graduate advisor.  The vote of the Advisory Committee must be unanimous for the student to pass the examination.

Fees and Expenses:

Tuition varies with residency. Financial aid assistance may be available.


All applications may be considered for the several teaching and research assistantships available each year. Check for currently available assistantships.

For more info or questions, contact:

Dr. Shawn FraverPicture of Shawn Fraver
Graduate Coordinator
5755 Nutting Hall
Orono, ME 04469-5755
Phone: (207) 581-2842 | Fax: (207) 581-2875